Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution implies depositing and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server managed by a website hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services used for different aims, so let's study these. Thus, you can pick what you want, depending on whether you desire to own a web site, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by various vendors, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage packages are often supported by showing advertisements next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a particular span of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly amiss interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would assign the load between different packs of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various webspace hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a variety of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some suppliers provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is good if you wish to share a vast amount of images with comrades or associates since the service is generally free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to handling your mail aliases. Some providers provide website hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you want to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to own a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and several hundred site viewers, you may have trouble with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video will allow you to use as many videos as you want without hassling about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to own a website. To some extent, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting groups since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and e-mail addresses, upload video clips, etc. At Loyalty Hosting, for instance, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be limits based on the type of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse compared to the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are purposed for specific web content solely.